Wine-cooked aubergine with Cashel Blue® brandy prunes
Claire McCormick is an established chef in the Dublin region, with over 35 years’ catering experience. Specialising in pastry and vegetarian, she has worked in Cornucopia, Escape and currently works for an established vegetarian restaurant in Greystones.
Showing her keen interest in Irish produce, base ingredients and small food businesses – here is a decadent treat she conjured up using Cashel Blue®… We hope you enjoy.
- 1 good sized aubergine
- cup of red wine, medium to full bodied
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 4oz prunes soaked in a little brandy
- Cashel Blue® cheese (optional)
- Slice aubergines length-wise, about ¼ inch thick, and toss with olive oil, wine and seasoning. Put cloves of garlic on top and bake at a moderate temperature until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Cut strips of aubergine about 1 ½ inch wide. Place half a brandy-soaked prune on end, and roll up place in baking dish ready to warm up for service.
- A small cube of Cashel Blue® cheese inside the prune before cooking is welcome.