Cashel Blue®, Black Pudding and Apple Starter, By Mickey Ffrench Davis
Preparation time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Serves: 4
- 1 chubb of black pudding (eg. Clonakilty black pudding)
- 2 medium apples
- 125g pack of Cashel Blue® cheese
- some white flour (for the batter)
- sparkling water (for the batter)
- Oil and Vinegar
- Fry the apple slices until soft, and set aside
- Make honey and mustard dressing by mixing mustard, honey, a little oil and some vinegar
- Cut black pudding into approx 1cm thick slices, and fry. Once cooked, place the slices on a baking tray. Add a generous chunk of Cashel Blue® cheese on top of each slice of black pudding. Place the tray in the oven on a low heat.
- Make the batter by mixing water and flour. If you have some sparkling water this works especially well :)
- Coat the fried apple slices in the batter. Heat a generous amount of oil in the pan and then shallow-fry the coated apple slices, until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove from oil and set on some kitchen paper or a towel to remove excess oil.
- Remove the black pudding slices from the oven, the cheese will be nicely melted on top. Combine this with the battered apple slices on a plate. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and drizzle with some honey and mustard dressing.