Cashel Blue Pizza Bianco
Preparation time: 30 mins | Cooking time: 10-20 mins | Serves: 2
Creamy ricotta base, with apple and thinly sliced potatoes, red onion and fennel with lemon, honey and thyme. Topped with Cashel Blue cheese. Finished with Rocket and Shepherd’s store Sheep’s cheese shavings. This is a great way to use up leftovers as you can even use a sliced or crumbled leftover roast potato! The topping quantity makes enough for an approx. 14” Pizza.
The key ingredients in this pizza are the creamy cheeses on base along with notes of honey, lemon and hint of woody herb with a little extra dimension from apple and onion and a finishing of any sprinkle of green leaf at the end, so omitting any of the other ingredients will still leave you with a wonderful way to use Cashel Blue on your homemade pizza! The potato does add an extra textural dimension but can be left out for a lighter pizza.
Obviously, there’s a lot of ingredients here, so this might suit a time that you’re making a few pizzas. You could probably stretch the quantities listed above for most of the toppings to two pizzas except the essential of the creamy cheese and Cashel Blue as well as the apple which does add great balance.
If you don’t have Ricotta to hand, you can substitute with cream cheese or even crème fraiche.
- Pizza base of your choice (make your own or buy a pizza base)
- Zest and Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1/4 of a sweet eating apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 or less of a small red onion thinly sliced
- Very thinly sliced Fennel Bulb, level dessert spoon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1 tsp. Honey
- 1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 60g Ricotta Cheese
- Handful of cooked thinly sliced potatoes, with skin on is fine (approx. 2 x baby potatoes or ½ a medium potato)
- 70g Cashel Blue Cheese crumbled
- 1 handful Rocket
- 20g Shepherd’s Store Sheep’s Cheese Shavings
- Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
- Combine the lemon zest and juice with the thinly sliced apple, red onion and fennel in a small bowl. Add thyme, honey, vinegar as well as a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste – coat all ingredients well. This can be covered and left overnight if needed. If not, do this whilst oven is heating so the flavours have at least 10 minutes to mingle.
- Heat your oven to high temperature as per pizza base instructions or your own preferences if you have a pizza oven or make your own dough.
- Just prior to assembling the pizza, drain all the excess liquid from the apple mix into a different bowl and combine this liquid with the Ricotta.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the pizza base then dollop the ricotta mix in - around 5 loaded teaspoon amounts evenly spaced.
- Scatter the pizza with the potatoes and then with the Cashel Blue Cheese crumbles, followed by the apple mix.
- Cook the Pizza as per base instructions (usually around 10 mins or less).
- While the pizza is cooking shave a little of the Shepherds store and toss with the small handful of green leaf of your choice, season and drizzle with a tiny amount of olive oil.
- As soon as pizza is removed from oven scatter the leaf mix on top.
- Cut, serve and savour!