Irish Rib Eye Steak with Cashel Blue
Preparation time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Serves: 1
A super simple way to use our cheese as a topping for a steak to make a sandwich.
Get a really great steak from your local butchers. Instead of a sandwich, another option is to serve the steak and Cashel Blue with a simple mixed leave salad with a basic French dressing. You could also serve along with potatoes, equally a serving of French beans of lemony asparagus works superbly. One thick cut rib-eye could serve up to 4 if you are cleaver in adding tasty accompaniments. A key point is to add a little more sweetness and small zing of lemon or vinegar to your accompaniments which will really make the Cashel Blue Cheese sing. So, for example a little teaspoon of extra honey and cider vinegar to your dressing for a salad or a drizzle of maple syrup and squeeze of lemon over your green beans. A natural sweetness from roasted baby veg with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar would also be fantastic.
Keep it ultra-simple and let the steak and Cashel Blue shine.
- Irish grass-fed steak – we used a rib-eye, but you could use any steak that you like best.
- 50g Cashel or Crozier Blue
- Rapeseed Oil or Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Get your pan, barbecue or grill really hot.
- Season steak with a little rub of pepper and a little oil (particularly if using a pan).
- Add the steak and sear on one side first, around 3 to 4 minutes -if you are looking for rare or medium rare. If you’re using a pan, baste the top of the steak with the fat that comes out as it fries.
- When you can see that a little colour has come up around quarter way through from the bottom of the steak, flip it over. At this point add the Cashel Blue cheese on top, so that it melts while the steak is cooking. The cooking time will depend a lot on the thickness of the steak, but will likely take another 3-4 minutes for medium-rare.
- Remove the steak from the heat and allow to rest on a board for a couple of minutes. Serve in a bread roll with some salad leaves. Simple and Delicious!